Late Night Customer

Follow by Email

This story happened recently. I’d rather keep my name out of this, for security reasons.

I’m twenty one years old, and I work at a Gas Station; the Graveyard shift. Now, I’m really into the Paranormal and had my fair share of encounters. I own several books on Demonology and how to banish spirits and such, and Cryptozoology is one of my biggest passions

I am six feet tall and weight two hundred and fifty pounds, that being said, let’s get into the story.

I recently moved into a new part of the city because the rent of the apartment where I was staying went up and I couldn’t afford it anymore, and the new apartment was way too far from my previous job so I had to resign and look for a new one. I got hired a gas station within walking distance and the pay was decent enough to pay for rent and bills. It was perfect!

My new co-workers were very welcoming and willing to help me with any questions. During the first week everything went smooth and simple, my schedule was the one of the morning since it was slower and my training would be easier without so many costumers interrupting. It was fun while it lasted. Once I got my new schedule, I chuckled. My boss had given me the 12AM-to-8AM. I am a night owl, so staying up late was no problem for me. Besides, that meant I did not have to deal with lousy costumers, only the occassional late drunk coming to buy beer.

During the overnight shift we lock the front and back doors; the only way a costumer can get what they want to buy is through a window with a hatch that we open and lock.

Now, the Station is pretty big and exposed. The front is completely glass, like in the movie “The Mist”. My duties as an Overnight Employee are basic, just serve whomever comes to buy something and check inventory for the next day. Since there are no managers around during this hours and I’m the only employee, I gave myself the privilege of bringing my headphones for when I get bored at least I can listen to some music.

One night, around [11:45]PM, I got out of my apartment and started walking towards the Gas Station. Since my apartment complex is on a bad side of the city, I always carry an extendable baton with me just in case. I put on my headphones and noticed something wrong with them, they wouldn’t play any music, only distorted static like an old radio without signal. Weirded out, I unplugged the jack and tried to see if it was my phone but no, the speaker was working just fine. I tried to plug the headphones one more time and they start working but as soon as they went on, I felt something on my back, like that feeling when you are alone in the dark and feel someone is behind you. I looked back and saw nothing, just an empty street. I kept walking and got the same sensation, I turned around again just to see a figure trying to hide behind some bushes and trees on an empty property next to the Station. The property was completely abandoned, tall grass, bushes and dense trees were the usual hideouts for weed smokers and other drug addicts. So I assumed it was just a guy smoking some weed and left it alone.

Once I got to work, I let my boss know with a text message, and the night shift employee left for the night after handing me the keys. I locked the doors and checked inventory, so far everything was calm. From under the counter I took out a graphic novel to read while listening music.

Usually we get around three to five costumers during the Overnight Shift and the night was barely starting so I had no worries, plus it was a week day so I highly doubted anyone would come.

Around 2AM, I noticed a person standing by the gas pumps. It was not unusual, sometimes homeless people would go and sleep. But something was odd about this person. They were wearing a long trenchoat and I couldn’t see their face, even with the lights illuminating. The person raised their right arm and waved at me. At first it weirded me out, then I thought ‘Ah, what the hell.’ And waved back. That was a mistake. As soon as I raised my arm, the person lowered theirs and just stood there. Slightly annoyed by that, I went back to my novel trying to ignore them.

After a good half an hour, the lights starting to flicker. I sighed and put down the novel and took off my headphones going to the back to check on the power, maybe a fuse was going bad. Once in the back, the lights went completely off. I got to admit, I got scared for a second but then I remembered my phone has a flashlight. Bless Technology. I found the switch and turned on the emergency power. We have those in case stuff like this happens and a big vehicle, like a truck is fueling up. I decided to text my boss and let him know about the power before writing a report but my phone had no signal. I cursed under my breath, this was a regular issue with my phone carrier so I just decided to write the report; once on the front again I saw something that sent a chill down my spine.

The person standing by the pumps was right outside of the front door staring at me. Now I had a good look at their face. It was horrifying. Their skin was blue-ish, like a blueberry, bald, and their eyes were black with a blue iris that stood out from a distance. The worst… was their smile. It was a huge ear-to-ear smile.

I did not know how to react, it was so sudden. They were easily seven feet tall, I don’t get easily intimidated but this… thing… made my knees weak of fear. I gathered all the courage I had inside me and spoke. “What do you want?” I asked in the most serious tone I could use. It pointed at the beef jerky section. “Ok, this is weird.” I muttered walking to the jerky without taking my eyes off of It. “This?” I pointed at the food. “You want food?” The thing nodded still with that grin. “Alright. I’ll give you food.” I grabbed a handful of beef jerky and went to the hatch. Still slightly nervous. The thing moved to the window,  keeping a two feet distance from it. Once it was right in front of me, I almost let a whimper. It was taller up close, and scarier. I could hear it breathe heavily, like it had run a marathon. I looked down and this time I couldn’t hold it, I let a little scream out when I saw its feet. They were like a reptile’s, like those of a chameleon: Split in two with four large toes ending in claws.

I took a step back. “What the f…?” I couldn’t finish my sentence, the thing put its hand on the glass and leaned towards its. Its hand was big, and also ending in claws. Its face was touching the window and its eyes were fixated on me. I was praying this thing didn’t try to break the glass. That would be bad. It slided its hand to the little rear on the hatch we use to give costumers their change. The claws made their way inside trying to reach me. I took a step back. “Go away…!” I yelled angry and scared. “I will hurt you!” Those were empty threats, I had no idea how to take on this thing, I reached for my baton and extended it trying to look intimidating but the creature… chuckled and took out its hand from the rear. “I’m not afraid, y’know!” I was VERY afraid. “What are you?!” I kept yelling at it, trying to be intimidating but the thing wouldn’t move a muscle, it just kept smiling at me.

At this point it was just a staring contest, me with my baton in hand and the creature just looking down at me. It felt like an eternity. After a couple of minutes, it walked towards the front door and started to push it violently, trying to get it. “No, you won’t!” I ran to the door, dropped the beef jerky, and pushed towards its direction so this thing wouldn’t break in, the only thing keeping the door closed was a chain and padlock, and two small bolt locks on top and bottom of the doors. If that thing was as strong as I thought it was, the door was not going to hold. “GO AWAY!” I yelled again trying to keep my composture but wanted to cry deep inside. The bolts gave up and the doors almost opened but thanks to the chains they held on just making a half foot opening… big enough for the creature to slip its hand. Adrenaline, or bravery, or sheer stupidity made me react, and the reaction was to hit it as hard as I could with my weapon. After I did, the creature stopped smiling and went completely serious. “I will hit you again! Stay back, you freak!” It retreated its hand once more and stood there, staring again.

There was complete silence, just me and that thing. Staring at each other once more.

Taking me by surprise, my phone started ringing. I forgot to turn off my alarm. It normally goes off at 4AM so I can get ready for the morning shift. The ringtone caught me off guard causing me to look away from the creature giving it enough reaction time for it to violently push the doors almost ripping the handles with the chains from it. This time its heavy breathing became straight up heavy pantings “Fuck!” My first thought was to kick the doors trying to push it away. It worked. It backed away and smiled again. It walked backwards four steps and then raised its hand again but only with three fingers up before walking away and dissappearing into the night.

The day after my replacement for the next shift arrived along with my manager. They both noticed the door handles almost broken and demanded answers from me.

I knew they wouldn’t believe me, so I lied and said two big guys tried to rob the store with baseball bats but I managed to fend them off. We filed a police report and left it at that.

That was two days ago. I do not know if the three fingers up meant three days… but whatever happens. I’m bringing my books about paranormal creatures, maybe I’ll know what this thing is, and hopefully… I will survive the night.


Please Login to comment
Notify of