Camping Stalker

Follow by Email

It was 10 years ago and i was 19 years old. my boyfriend came up with the idea to go camping in south Michigan. at the time i was excited to go. an entire week alone in the woods?

sounds like a fun and almost sexy weekend. well the first 5 days of the camping trip went very well. we went hiking and swimming in a nearby lake.

it was nice and we had our mostly innocent fun. but on the last few days thing got weird. it was the sixth day and we had decided to go on a walk early in the morning by the lake. on the walk we saw foot prints in the sand by the lake.

they looked like dog prints so we mostly thought nothing of it until we got closer. upon closer inspection these print were massive.

these prints were 7 inches long. not knowing what exactly made them we assumed it was a bear but the didn’t serve to calm our nerves as a bear was bad news. but we were not easily scared and unfortunately decided to stay not giving the prints a second thought. from that point on i felt like i was being watched.

i felt like i was being stalked no matter were i went. even if i was alone i could feel horrible eyes on my neck, eyes like lasers burning into my skin. after having our lunch my boyfriend (whom lets name Henry) came up with the idea to walk in a direction we had not walked in before, east. as  soon as we started this walk i felt awful.

that feeling of being watched was intensified by tenfold. i was hesitant but said nothing. 25 minuets into the walk i felt better, my rational side of me told me i was just being paranoid, i was just anxious because we were out here for so long. but soon after i could smell something awful. the smell brought tears to my eyes and i threw up.

my boyfriend next to me was doubled over but he did not vomit. this smell was like a dead corpse, like rotting flesh and the smell of death.

immediately we turned around back to camp, this smell was so powerful it smelled as if it was following us to camp. or whatever was making the smell was following us. this thought made me speed up into a slow jog forcing my boyfriend to do the same.

soon we came to camp and fortunately the smell was gone by then. both of us decided to stay here for the rest of the day as there was not much sunlight left, maybe 2 hours of day left.

it was later almost night, with a few scattered bits of light shining through the deep purple and pink sky, and we had just finished up cleaning the scraps of leftover food and paper that was the remnants of our dinner when Henry said “hey do you hear that?” a few second passed as i listened.


“no i don’t hear anything” i told him.

“yes yes exactly! it was loud with the sounds of animals just a second ago…”.

this creeper me out so we rushed to the false safety that was our tent. soon enough we got over it and fall asleep. it was in the middle of the night when i woke up with dread. the smell from our walk. i could smell it but it was somewhat faint.

i slowly nudged Henry to wake him up be he was already awake, he told me he was up for at least 10 minuets. he told me he couldn’t move he was so scared. slowly the full moon slipped out from the clouds and light lit up the dark outside of our tent. and both of us could see a tall, furry and dog like shadow.

this alone was enough to scare us but what was more was this shadow was on its rear legs. legs that looked like dog legs. we watched this shadow move and crawl closer to the tent, sniffing the air the closer it got the stronger and worse the smell got. as it was not a foot from the tent it reared its head and howled. a horrible blood curdling howl.

it was so so loud, now i know this was for real this was a real creature a real monster and by the sounds of it it was pissed really really pissed.

we couldn’t do anything. we had no gun no knives no weapons to fight this thing the only thing we had was a snubbed nose revolver in the jeep. all we could do was wait, and wait we did. it was hours before it stalked off. we only stayed awake out of fear.

Henry moved to open the tent but i grabbed his hand, “WHAT are you doing?!” i hissed quietly at him. Henry replied quietly to me that he was going to book it to the car and grab his gun. “it’s not gone…” i told him. how did i know?

the smell was still strong still very powerful, and i told this to Henry. when i told him and he realized i was right he paled.

we could do nothing so we had to wait until daybreak or until the smell goes away. we waited for what felt like years but in reality was only an hour. that is how long it took the smell to dissipate.

as soon as it did we bolted to the jeep, not bothering to get our things. i jumped it to the driver seat and rammed the keys into the ignition and started the car. as i did this Henry grabbed the revolver. Let me tell you something about this particular jeep, it was one of those jeeps with no doors no doors at all nothing there at all. nothing between me and that monster, so you can understand that as soon as the engine started we took the wide trail at a breakneck speed. not a second after we got it moving could i see this werewolf with reddish brown fur that looked like blood running at an ungodly speed towards us. when i saw this i floored it and pushed the jeep even harder down the dangerous winding trail. soon i hit 40 mph and this thing was keeping up effortlessly. 50 mph and it was still there. this thing was actually gaining on us. it was now on the passenger side of the jeep. next thing i know i hear the loudest gunshot i have ever heard, right after i hear a loud whining and then it let out a long, loud, and drawn out howl. i kept pushing the jeep until we hit asphalt.

we were still fairly isolated but i had the confidence to slow down. we were going about 25 mph now and had time to calm down. we continued to drive for 5 more minuets.

we both we calm and were talking about what just happened both freaking out but what pushed us over the edge was when we heard a howl very very close behind us. i look in the review the mirror and this thing was following us! no no no wait this one was different. this one wasn’t a brownish color it was gray.

this was a different one! there was more than one the whole time. this got me to floor the jeep once again.

this thing was persistent and fast. faster than the original one too. the jeep hit 60 mph and this thing was still behind us and was catching us. this one was more built it seemed. it had wider shoulders than the last and it seemed it was taller too this one was 8 feet it looked.

70 mph this thing was still behind but was no longer gaining on us. i pushed the jeep to its limit at 80 mph. slowly oh so slowly did the thing fade into the distance. before it finally disappeared it stopped and let out another long eerie howl.

for a long time i kept this speed because i was convinced another was still following, before Henry forced me to stop the jeep completely.

we just idled in the middle of the road before Henry held me and made me take a break.

we switched and soon Henry  got the jeep going to a more sensible speed. an hour later we found the first signs of civilization. a street light, a sign, and then buildings. at the sight of this we finally could fully relax.

we were exhausted both physically and mentally. the adrenaline faded and we checked into a hotel to crash. after not sleeping for the night and fleeing from a fucking monster we nearly passed out as soon as our head hit the pillows.

waking up we still were a very shaken. we had no idea what to do. tell the cops? no they would think we were crazy.

who would we tell? in the end we told nobody but we did go back to the site to see what we could gather and see if we could get our things. it took a lot to go back but we did. as we approached the tent i could tell it was ripped to pieced.

it was collapsed and ribbons of brown were everywhere. a peek inside the tent told me that there was nothing left. nonetheless both me and Henry searched our packs and found nothing but my wallet with everything inside all the money and cards, lucky me but it still had a gash it it and was now useless.

but everything else looked to be shredded, chewed on or missing. Henry was not as lucky. his pack was completely empty and was torn even worse than the tent was, the entire front of his pack was missing and it was covered in slobber and what looked like blood. we did not stay long.

we got into the car and as we were driving away we heard a howl and this sent me into a panic i urged Henry to go and floor it. he did but he told me there was no need to worry as it was very far off. i did not care a single bit.

i had to get the hell out of here ASAP.

to this day i have a fear of both the dark and the woods. it sends me into a panic if its too dark and the woods?

i don’t go near them any more.since then me and Henry got married and i lived happily but this “trip” still haunts me. i can never forget it. i looked up the area we had been camping at and it seems its a breeding ground for monster sightings. apparently these things are called ‘Dog men”.

this was hard to write and this has brought on new and fresh nightmares but i also think it was somewhat therapeutic. thanks for reading this.

Recommended Stories

Werewolf or Dogman….? Here's a bit of backstory(I'll get to the story in a moment) I am 15 years ...
The monster of the Zambezi valley This story happened to me about 14 maybe 15 year's ago,ita burnt into my me...
It’s a Killer In my life I've had two experiences that solidify my belief in creatures th...
A near encounter with a wendigo This story happened on a camping trip on september 7th 2018, I woke up orig...
Its looking at me I live in Oregon, and I love road-trips but after this experience I will ne...


Please Login to comment
Notify of